Even though most people think of pre-teens and teens when they think of orthodontics, there are good reasons for your child to get an orthodontic evaluation much sooner. As recommended by the Australian Society of Orthodontists, Dr Mehta likes to see children from the age of 8 years onwards while their teeth and jaws are still developing.
An early orthodontic consultation can allow Dr Mehta to assess the growth of the jaw and assess the incoming permanent teeth. Early assessment can also correct thumb sucking, and eliminate abnormal swallowing or speech problems.
Dr Mehta’s goal is to provide each patient with the most appropriate treatment at the most appropriate time. Early orthodontic treatment can be required to:
- Examine the upper airway to assess for sleep disturbances
- Guide the width of the upper and lower jaw
- Correct harmful oral habits
- Gain space for permanent teeth
- Avoid the need for permanent tooth extractions, and
- Reduce the likelihood of impacted permanent teeth
Early orthodontic assessment and if necessary, early treatment may simplify or prevent orthodontic treatment later in your child’s life, saving you time and money; not to mention giving your child the best opportunity for a healthy, beautiful smile.